Skip to main content

Page Content

Content Area


Filter this list:

File Name File Type File Size
Sorry, no rows match your search.
ProMaster - Look Up Transactions PDF File 126.4 KB
ProMaster - Personal Expenses PDF File 107.5 KB
ProMaster - Split Transaction PDF File 166.7 KB
ProMaster - Split Transaction GST PDF File 185.6 KB
Salary Packaging Brochure PDF File 104.5 KB
Salary Packaging Childcare PDF File 150.2 KB
Salary Packaging Portable Electronic Devices PDF File 146.5 KB
Salary Packaging Superannuation PDF File 212.4 KB
Superannuation (UniSuper) PDF File 175.3 KB
Workplace Giving/Charitable Donations PDF File 209.4 KB

General - Miscellaneous

What is the University's Australian Business Number (ABN)?

What does the '%' sign mean in Banner?

The '%' sign is a 'wildcard' in Banner that can be used to represent all possible values that exist in the Banner database, in the field it is used in.

For example when it is used in the person search form (go through Banner FOAIDEN Form)

You are looking for a person whose name you have been told is Kate Rowbottom. You want to do a thorough search. You don't know if this person is Kate or Katherine so you use '%'

ID Last Name First Name Middle NameBirthdateChg
  Row% Kat%  

Accounts Payable

What is Accounts Payable Responsible for?

Accounts Payable is responsible for all creditor functions within the University (individuals or organisations to whom the University owes money). It processes authorised invoices for payment and draws cheques for issuance to the respective vendor.

Top of page

What is required to initiate a payment to a vendor?

In order to pay a vendor, the University must possess the original invoice. Approval to pay the claim will then be sought from the person who requested the Purchase Order before a cheque is issued.

In the situation where a Purchase Order was not raised prior to an invoice being received, a Purchase Requisition must be completed and forwarded to the Purchasing Section accompanied by the invoice. This will be processed and passed directly to Accounts Payable for a cheque to be drawn.

Top of page

What is a tax invoice?

A tax invoice is a claim for payment which complies with certain legislative requirements introduced with the GST and is required in order for the University to claim GST tax credits.

In general terms, this would include details such as the supplier's name and ABN, the words 'tax invoice' and reference to the GST component of the amount due.

Top of page

What is an ABN?

An Australian Business Number (ABN) is an eleven digit number assigned by the Taxation Office to persons or entities registered under the New Tax System. It must be quoted on all invoices.

Top of page

What happens if a vendor is not able to provide a valid ABN?

The University prefers to deal only with persons and organisations who are registered with an ABN. Payments to non-registered suppliers are subject to withholding tax whereby the University is legally obligated to withhold 47% of the payment and remit this amount to the Taxation Office.

In situations where goods or services are provided by a vendor who, for example, is not engaged in business but does so in a non-profit capacity, they may elect to complete a Statement by Supplier form which allows the University to pay the amount in full without the need to withhold.

Top of page

Does a supplier have to charge GST?

In certain circumstances vendors can possess an ABN without being registered for GST. The ABN must still be quoted on the invoice however the supply is free of GST.

Supplies of goods and services such as food and medical items are non-taxable and therefore do not attract GST.

Top of page

What does a non-staff member need to complete when submitting a reimbursement claim?

A student, visitor or casual staff member will need to complete a Non-Staff Reimbursement Request form, detailing the costs they are claiming. Submit the request form along, with supporting documentation, to the relevant administrative centre, requesting them to raise a requisition for the reimbursement to be paid to you.

Top of page

What is my Financial Delegation?

Please refer to Delegations and Authorisations Policy.

Top of page


I've never used a University vehicle before. What do I need to know?

When using a University vehicle for the first time, please arrange for collection of the vehicle during office hours of 9am to 4pm. This will allow the Fleet Officer to explain all the documentation and procedures that pertain to University vehicles. Please allow 5-10mins for staff to explain this to you when collecting the vehicle.

However if this is not possible, the vehicle information folder will contain all the necessary information that you require. Any additional questions may be directed to the Fleet Officer upon your return.

How do I collect a motor vehicle at Bathurst?

Between the office hours of 9am to 4pm, keys and vehicle information folders can be collected from the Fleet Office, located on your Campus.

Outside of these hours, keys and folders can be collected by contacting Security or where Cardex facilities are available the use of an activated staff card may be possible.

Access to the Fleet Office and vehicle compound on some campuses is available by card access. Contact the Fleet Office to confirm after hour's collection procedures.

The vehicle information folder contains specific information for after hour's returns to your home campus.

My travel plans have changed and I'm going to be later than originally indicated. What do I do?

It is always important to allow enough time on your travel order to cope with minor delays. This is for your own safety. Please be aware that other staff may be dependent on you returning the vehicle at the stated time. We appreciate that unforeseen delays can occur, and if you anticipate a delay in returning a vehicle, please contact the Fleet Office during business hours.

I refuelled the University vehicle, but had to pay by cash or credit card. How do I get reimbursed?

University vehicles used for official business are supplied with a Caltex fuel card in the folder.

However, if unable to use the fuel card, you will need to seek reimbursement by completing an 'out of pocket' claim using ProMaster. A copy of the fuel docket and travel plan number must be attached to the claim.

If a CSU Visa card is used then the expense type in ProMaster should be "Fuel" with the cost charged to fleet services.

Can someone else pick the car up for me?

Any University staff member can pick up a car for you, however as the traveler, you are responsible for the vehicle during the times booked. You are able authorise other staff to collect a vehicle on your behalf.

Where do I leave my personal car?

Staff using University vehicles are permitted to park their own vehicles within the confines of the Fleet compound. You are required to park in the space that is normally occupied by your allocated fleet vehicle.

Can I pick the car up earlier than the time booked?

It is possible to collect a vehicle before the allotted time; however you should contact the Fleet officer to ensure that the vehicle will be ready for collection. Your allocated vehicle may be returning from another booking and may not be available before the allotted time.

Can I keep the car over multiple bookings?

You will need consent from your supervisor to retain a vehicle for consecutive bookings. You will also need to inform the Fleet Office at the time of booking that you will be retaining the same vehicle. Your Promaster booking should reflect this request. The Fleet Officer may need to contact your supervisor to confirm the arrangement.

Do I have to refuel the car before I return the vehicle?

Yes, for consideration of fellow hirers it is requested that all vehicles are refuelled to capacity before returning to the compound.

Where is the fuel door release/handbrake etc.?

Please spend a few minutes in the vehicle before commencing your journey, to familiarise yourself with the location of the vehicle features. The vehicle owner's manual is located in the glove box for your reference.

Where are the cars

Generally the Fleet compound is located near the Fleet Office. Contact your local Fleet Officer for campus specific directions.

Can I use a car for private use?

Please Refer to Private hire policy.

Top of page


I am a student at Charles Sturt University and as part of my course requirements I am required to complete Workplace learning with an external organisation. Am I covered under the University's insurance? >

Yes, you will be covered by the University's insurances so long as the relevant Workplace Learning is approved by your lecturer or other authorised faculty personnel. Please refer to the Certificates of Currency and Insurance Letters page for details of cover and for the downloadable CSU Students Workplace Learning Insurance letter. If you have any specific insurance queries, please contact the Insurance Officer.

Top of page

I am a student enrolled at Charles Sturt University and would like to complete some voluntary Workplace learning to broaden my knowledge. Am I covered under the University's insurance?

Voluntary Workplace learning refers to instances whereby students arrange their own Workplace learning, ie: Workplace learning that is not a course requirement. Voluntary Workplace learning must still be approved if it is to receive University insurance cover. Approval, in this instance, is arranged ONLY through the University's Careers Service. Students must first complete and submit the insurance application form for voluntary Workplace learning. If voluntary Workplace Learning is approved prior to it being commenced, and so long as it is not a paid activity, it will be covered by the University's insurances in accordance with the CSU Students Workplace Learning Insurance letter which can be downloaded by clicking on the link.

Please note that there are very few circumstances where unpaid work is permitted by law. Students that perform work for a host employer will most likely be deemed to be an employee under the Fair Work Australia Act 2009 and subject to its protection which includes minimum employment standards and the mandatory payment for services. Thus, if a student wishes to undertake Workplace Learning on his/her own initiative which is not Workplace Learning approved by the University or if a student is either paid by the external organisation or extends his/her Workplace Learning to undertake a project on behalf of the external organisation which has not been approved as Workplace Learning by the University, the University's insurances do not extend to include such activities. In these circumstances, the external organisation assumes responsibility for the student and would be expected to provide appropriate general & products liability, professional indemnity and personal accident/workers compensation insurances under their own policies and as required by law.

Top of page

I am an enrolled student of Charles Sturt University and I wish to undertake Workplace Learning overseas. Am I covered under the University's insurances?

Provided your lecturer or other authorised faculty personnel grants prior approval for such overseas Workplace Learning, it will be covered under the University's General & Products Liability and Professional Indemnity /Medical Malpractice/Veterinary Malpractice insurances. These apply anywhere in the world although coverage in USA/Canada is restricted and protection is subject to certain terms, exclusions, conditions and limitations. Please contact the Insurance Officer for more information on a particular location. The Student Personal Accident insurance provided by the University is a generic safety net policy only. It is strongly recommended that all students intending to travel overseas seek professional advice to ensure that they have appropriate travel / medical cover in place prior to departure.

Top of page

What are the benefits and sums insured under the Students Personal Accident insurance mentioned in the Workplace Learning Letter?

The University provides students with a generic safety net cover under policy number 01PO533297 with Chubb Insurance Australia Limited. The major benefits include capped capital payments (maximum $55,000) for specific insured events and cover for Non Medicare Medical Expenses (currently capped at $10,000 with an excess of $50 for each claim). Any benefit payable under Non Medicare Medical Expenses is less any recovery made from any private health insurance fund with respect to the expense. No benefit is payable in respect of medical expenses that attract a Medicare Rebate (this includes amounts referred to as the Medicare 'gap'). If you wish to clarify the benefits and sums insured and/or view the policy, please contact the Insurance Officer.

It is strongly recommended that all students seek professional advice to ensure that they have appropriate cover in place taking in to account their personal circumstances and requirements.

Top of page

I am an enrolled student of Charles Sturt University and, if I'm injured whilst attending classes on campus or undertaking workplace learning or in circumstances that permit a claim under the Students Personal Accident insurance, who pays for my medical and hospital expenses?

As students are not employees of the University, they are not covered by the University's Worker's Compensation insurance and Health Insurance legislation precludes our Students Personal Accident insurers from providing cover for Medicare medical, hospital and dental expenses or PBS [Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme] pharmaceutical costs incurred by students. Thus, if you are injured whilst attending classes on campus or undertaking workplace learning or in circumstances that permit a claim under the Students Personal Accident insurance, the University's insurers are unable to pay Medicare medical and hospital expenses on your behalf. Such expenses will, therefore, need to be met under your own Medicare and/or private health insurance.

However, the Students Personal Accident policy covers non-Medicare medical expenses up to a maximum of $10,000 subject to an excess of $50. These may include a range of medical and hospital expenses including but not limited to doctor, physician, surgeon, dental (excluding dentures), physiotherapist, chiropractor, osteopath, non-PBS pharmaceuticals and emergency ambulance [see below] services but specifically exclude any Medicare gap payment and are only in excess of any benefit payable recoverable from any Private Health Insurance Fund.

Furthermore, cover for non-Medicare medical expenses only applies to approved and sanctioned University activities including travel directly to/from the place of such activities and is subject to the full terms, conditions and exclusions of the policy.

Top of page

What if non-PBS pharmaceuticals are prescribed for treatment of my injury?

As intimated above, non-Medicare medical expenses coverage includes claims for non-PBS pharmaceuticals although, in order to ensure that the use of non-PBS pharmaceuticals is kept within reasonable bounds and that the insurers do not get caught up, for example, in a claim for non-PBS pharmaceuticals where a PBS drug would suffice or where the use of an untested non-PBS pharmaceutical was primarily experimental, they have asked that they be consulted in order that they can approve any claim before costs are actually incurred. For additional information, please contact the Insurance Officer.

Top of page

What insurances exist for emergency ambulance services?

The Students Personal Accident policy provides $1,000 cover for Emergency Transport Ambulance following injury and, although cover for internal students is 24/7, it only applies whilst on approved work experience for distance education students.

Ambulance costs can also be incurred, for example, as a result of illness or causes other than accidental injury, none of which are covered by the Students Personal Accident policy. If a student is taken to hospital via ambulance and does not have a health care card, is not in a private medical fund or have ambulance cover, he/she will incur a charge and ambulance service costs can be quite substantial. It is, therefore, highly recommended that all students take out their own personal ambulance cover.

Top of page

I am a student at Charles Sturt University and I will be completing workplace learning with an external organisation. Can I use my own motor vehicle to get to and from the place of this work experience?

Yes you can. How you travel to and from University approved workplace experience is at your discretion. However, you should note that you are responsible for the repair of any damage/loss to your own or any other person's vehicle or property - these are not covered by the University under any circumstances. Accordingly, it is very important that you ensure that you have appropriate vehicle insurance in place.

Top of page

If my own motor vehicle is parked on a CSU campus, who pays if it is damaged by, say, a tree limb falling on it or by another vehicle?

You are permitted to park your private motor vehicle on CSU campuses entirely at your own risk. Thus, the University is NOT liable to pay for the cost of damage repair, however caused, whilst your vehicle is parked on a CSU campus. If you are insured, you will need to claim under your own insurance. If you are not insured, you will need to make your own repair arrangements.

Top of page

I am arranging for some volunteers to assist in a University activity. Will the University insurances cover these volunteers?

If the volunteers are involved in an official University activity they will be covered under the University's General and Product Liability Insurance and Professional Indemnity Insurance. If a volunteer incurred an injury due to the alleged negligence of the University, its staff or students, they would be entitled to take an action against the University under the University's Public Liability insurance. As a volunteer is not an employee of the University they are not covered under workers compensation insurance. The University provides insurance for volunteer workers whilst engaged in voluntary work, including whilst travelling directly to / from the place of such voluntary work. The policy provides a range of benefits including capital sums due to an insured event and non-Medicare medical expenses up to $10,000 (excess $50). As Health Insurance legislation prohibits the University from taking out insurance to cover medical and hospital expenses, these would have to be claimed under Medicare or under the volunteer's private health insurance.

If you wish to clarify the benefits applicable or view the policy, please contact the Insurance Officer. Cover is subject to the full terms, conditions and exclusion of the policy.

The laptop computer I use, owned by the University and valued at $4,000 was stolen from home. It was not locked down with an approved device. Am I covered?

Yes, providing permission was been given by the Head of Department for the equipment to be taken from the campus. However an internal excess of $2,000 will apply. The Department will have to pay the first $2,000. Please refer to Claims Procedure for Property. Continued loss of equipment by the Department may result in the Department's share of the excess being increased.

Top of page

I have arranged to borrow an item of equipment from an outside organisation. Is the item covered whilst in transit, and also at the University?

Yes, provided the Insurance Officer is advised in advance and all reasonable precautions to prevent loss, destruction or damage are taken. [See above re internal excess and Claims Procedure for Property].

Top of page


What is a Program Code?

The Program Code is the fourth component of the standard coding combination of Fund, Organisation, Account and Program (referred to as FOAP).

A current list of Program Codes is contained in the Program Code section of the latest Chart of Accounts.

There are a range of Programs set up for University-wide use (1000 to 1999). All other Program Codes are set up under a heading for the applicable Faculty / School / Division / Section / Centre.

Program Code Use

A Program Code is used to identify income and expenditure transactions processed for a specific purpose or project, eg a conference, function or small research grant. The Program Code may be used within one Fund / Organisation Code combination, to keep the results for that project separate from all other income & expenditure in that Fund / Org; or it may be used over several Fund / Org Code combinations, to identify all income / expenditure processed for a common purpose.

Requesting a New Program Code

Firstly, ensure that a new Program Code is appropriate - check whether there is an existing Program, either in the 1000-1999 range or in your School / Section Programs, which could be used for the required purpose. A Program Code should not be requested if it will only be used for a small number of transactions.

An authorised person for the School / Section may request a new Program Code by entering the required details in the Program Code Request Form.


I need to organise a large mail-out, who do I need to contact & what do I need to do?

Mail Contacts.

The University each year negotiates with Australia Post for a contract for the supply of postal services. Various rates apply depending on the presorting of mail. It is essential that you contact the Mail Officer on your Campus to assist in achieving the cheapest rates for your mail-out & appropriate presorting of mail.

The University Mail System is run on a cost recovery basis, you must supply a Banner Budget sequence - A102 : 244 : 301 with all letters posted through the University Mailroom.

All official letters must be stamped with the Faculty / School / Division name to allow for charging back to the appropriate Budget.

Is Express Post or Registered Mail the way to go?

Express post is the preferred means of mailing documents through the Australia Post system, where tracing a document's progress is required. Express Post mail has a lift off specific number assigned to each article, which is scanned by Australia Post as it passes through each stage of their system & therefore is locatable.

Express Post mail is not guaranteed delivery overnight, delivery timeframe is dependant on the destination.

I need to send out a survey & have it returned to me, how do I do this?

Contact your Campus Mailroom for advice.

Surveys and the like being returned by mail to the University must use Reply Paid envelopes that have been barcoded to the appropriate address and have the receiving Department / School name stamped upon them. Failure to use correctly barcoded reply paid envelopes will result in a significant cost being borne by the instigating Department / School.


Payslips / Payment Summaries

My Salary...


Can't find the answer you were looking for?

When do I get my Income Statement (previously known as a Payment Summary)?

From the 2018/19 Financial Year, Single Touch Payroll (STP) legislation removed the requirement for the University to produce Payment Summaries. Payment Summaries have been replaced by income statements. Tax ready income statements can be accessed via your myGov account. Information on how to access your income statement using myGov is available at the following link:

Historical payment summaries, prior to and including the 2017/18 Financial Year, will continue to be available on Web Kiosk.

Top of page

How do I obtain a copy of my historical payment summaries?

Historical payment summaries, prior to and including the 2017/18 Financial Year, can be accessed through Web Kiosk as follows;-

  1. Go to Web Kiosk:
  2. Logon to Web Kiosk using your standard CSU login.
  3. Click on 'My Pay', then 'Payroll Details', then 'Payment Summary'.
  4. Click on the serial number of the relevant summary.
  5. Take note of the changes to the margins that need to be applied before your payment summary is printed

Queries should be directed to

Top of page

What does this mean on my payslip?

If you are having difficulties understanding your payslip please read the section "Understanding Payslips on Web Kiosk". For more information, please submit an online payroll query or email payroll,

Top of page

How do I arrange to change my address for delivery of my payslip or payment summaries?

Your mailing address can be changed on the Web Kiosk. For instructions please read the section "Changing My Address".
If you do not have access to the Web Kiosk, please contact HR Service Centre to change your postal address or pay slip destination, or email and your request will be forwarded to the HR Service Centre.

Top of page

Why are the gross earnings on my payment summary different to my payslip year to date?

Salary sacrifice reduces taxable salary and will therefore reduce the gross payment that is reportable on payment summaries.

If you have salary sacrificed your superannuation or other items, your payment summary will not be the same as your year to date earnings on the payslip listing.

Salary sacrificed items have already received a taxation benefit and therefore should not be claimed as a deduction on your tax return. CSU recommends you seek qualified independent financial advice.

If you require further information please email

Top of page

How is my annual salary rate converted in to a fortnightly gross salary?

Fortnightly gross salary is calculated in accordance with Direction 500.01 (3) of the Public Finance & Audit Act, 1983. The fortnightly amount is calculated by dividing the annual amount by 26.08925

Top of page

How do I change my banking details?

Your banking details can be changed on the Web Kiosk. For instructions please read the section "Changing Banking Details".
You cannot use a $0 amount. This will cause a serious error.
If you do not have access to the Web Kiosk, please send an e-mail message requesting a change of details to one week before payday. You may elect up to 5 disbursements to bank accounts either as fixed amounts or as a percentage of net pay. In your email please ensure that you include:

  • name of financial institution
  • branch (BSB) number
  • account name
  • account number
  • amount of disbursement ($ or %)

Top of page

How do I notify a change in my deductions?

Please send an email message to one week before payday requesting the change.

Top of page

Can I deposit my pay in to more than one account?

Yes. You may have up to five (5) disbursements to various bank accounts either as a fixed amount or as a percentage of nett pay. See "How do I change my banking details".
You cannot use a $0 amount. This will cause a serious error.

It is important to note that when using percentages to distribute your pay amongst various accounts, you still need a balance of account. If due to rounding a percentage disbursement cannot be processed the amount will be deposited in to your balance of account.

It is extremely important to delete any accounts that you do not wish money to be disbursed to. This will ensure that payments are not deposited in to an incorrect account.

Top of page

Is the amount of tax I am paying correct?

You may check the amount of the tax applicable by using the PAYG tax calculator available at the Australian Taxation website.

If the result of the calculation is different to the amount that you are paying please contact the Payroll Office, to check their records of your tax details.

If you are a casual employee the calculation may be different because there may be a tax adjustment. This adjustment would have been necessary if the wages paid to you relate to a previous pay period for which you have already had an amount of PAYG tax deducted.

Top of page

Can I change the amount of tax I am paying?

Yes. If you wish to claim or discontinue claiming the tax-free threshold, commence or cease HECS repayment obligations, or claim or vary your Family Tax benefit, you may do so by completing a Withholding Declaration (NAT 3093-6.2001). Withholding Declarations are available from the Forms section of this site.

Top of page

I didn't get paid!

If you are a casual employee please contact your supervisor to ensure that your claim for a payment has been authorised and sent to the Human Resources Office.

Top of page

I wasn't paid for the correct number of hours worked!

Please contact the HR Service Centre.

Top of page

I wish to 'cash-in' some or part of my long service leave entitlement. How is this payment taxed?

This payment is deemed to be a lump sum payment and is apportioned over the financial year. It is then taxed at marginal tax rates.

Note that an employee must have a long service leave entitlement of one (1) month or more to elect to be paid in the form of a lump sum payment and payment shall not be made for a period of less than one (1) month of long service leave.

In all cases, staff are encouraged to take leave rather than opting for a lump sum payment.

Top of page

How do I arrange for salary and/or oncosts that have been incorrectly charged to my school's/department's accounting ledger be fixed?

Please send an e-mail to detailing the incorrect transactions that appear on your ledger and a manual journal will be prepared to correct the entries.

Top of page

Does Charles Sturt University offer salary packaging? How do I arrange for salary packaging to commence?

Yes, details regarding salary packaging at CSU can be found on the Salary Packaging section within "Pay, Super & Benefits".

Top of page

Petty Cash

How do I determine the GST amount of a GST inclusive receipt?

Divide the total by eleven (11). For example, a receipt for $75 divided by 11 will give a GST amount of $6.81.

What special approval is required for the payment of a telephone account through petty cash?

In addition to the normal supporting documentation, the Dean/Executive Director must authorise the claim before payment can be made.


What is my Financial Delegation?

Summary of Financial Delegation

Revenue Services

What is Revenue Services responsible for?

Revenue Services is part of the Division of Finance and is responsible for all revenue collection on behalf of Charles Sturt University. This entails the generation of all invoices produced by the University and the processing of all inward payments for the University. This section is also responsible for debt collection and the initiation point for payment of refunds.

Top of page

When are my fees due?

A brief summary of fee due dates and various other financial details.

Top of page

How can I get a receipt for my payment?

If you require a receipt, please contact us.

Top of page

Can I print my own receipt from your website?

Payments made through the University's website will generate a receipt issued by our bankers' merchant facility, which can be printed at the time of processing the transaction. If you require an official receipt from the University, please contact us.

Top of page

How can I get a tax invoice for my fees?

Currently CSU issues statements of fees due to its students electronically through our messaging facility, however if you require a paper tax invoice, these are available upon request by contacting Revenue Services.

Top of page

How do I make a payment to CSU?

Review a full list of all acceptable methods of payment.

Top of page

Can I make payments over the Internet?

Current students can process payments 24 hours per day, 7 days per week through the University's online payments site. You will require a current logon ID and password to enter this site.

Top of page

What types of credit cards do you accept?

Payments can be made using your Visa or Mastercard.

Top of page

Are online payments safe?

Charles Sturt University's online payments site is a secure site which is encrypted for your security. More information about our site.

Top of page

Can I pay in person?

Here is a full list of all acceptable methods of payment

Top of page

Can I pay by BPay?

Charles Sturt University is a BPay merchant and can accept payments using this method. For more information about BPay, click here.

Top of page

I think I am due for a refund?

If you believe you are due a refund, please find more information here.

Top of page

I have joined the CSU Alumni - who do I notify?

If you qualify for CSU Alumni membership and have received your membership card, please contact your Student Administration Liaison Officer to have your tuition fees adjusted. Once your discount has been established on our system, you will continue to receive the discount until your membership expires.

Salary Packaging (Salary Sacrifice)

What is Salary Packaging?

Salary packaging or salary sacrificing is a mechanism that allows you to reduce the amount of salary considered for PAYG tax (income tax) by electing to receive a portion of your salary as pre tax benefits rather than wages.

Top of page

Is salary packaging of benefit to all employees?

No. Salary packaging may be of benefit to some employees but not others. The benefits of salary packaging are dependent on an individual employee’s particular financial circumstances. For example, an employee may need to consider whether a reduction in his or her PAYG tax liability is of greater benefit to them than a reduced entitlement to child care benefit.

All employees are urged to seek independent financial advice from an appropriately qualified financial adviser prior to participating in the Scheme. The Remuneration Office is not qualified to provide employees with financial advice.

Top of page

How often can I change my Salary Package

You may terminate or change your package by giving the University two weeks’ written notice. Email notification from your CSU email account is acceptable.

Top of page

Why would the packaging of childcare fees affect my entitlement to child care benefit?

Child care benefit is not payable for child care fees that have been paid or reimbursed by an employer. Packaged childcare fees are considered to have been paid by the employer.

Top of page

Does the University charge a fee for the administration of my salary package?

No. However the University reserves the right to introduce a fee to administer an employee’s Salary Packaging Agreement.

Top of page

Why should I seek independent financial advice from a qualified financial adviser?

There are a variety of complex financial and legal considerations involved in choosing whether to participate in salary packaging. A qualified financial adviser can assist you to determine whether salary packaging can be of assistance to you in meeting your existing financial commitments as well as future financial goals. CSU Remuneration Staff cannot provide employees with financial advice.

Top of page

Who pays for the advice that I receive from a qualified financial adviser?

All costs incurred to obtain financial advice from an independent qualified financial adviser are to be met by you. However you may salary package financial advice which relates to gaining or producing an assessable income.

Top of page

What happens to my salary package if my employment with the University ceases?

Your entitlement to receive benefits will automatically cease and your package will expire on your last day of employment with the University. Your package will be reconciled and all outstanding payments and fees will be deducted from your final salary payment. Accrued entitlements such as annual leave and long service leave are not able to be used for salary packaging.

Top of page

Why can’t I package accrued leave entitlements?

In accordance with taxation law, salary packaging must be from prospective earnings. It cannot relate to retrospective earnings, which includes accrued leave entitlements.

Top of page

Why can’t I package voluntary contributions to the state super funds?

These funds are actually closed. Existing members are not permitted to change the status of their membership and make additional contributions above their standard member contribution rate.

Top of page

What happens to my existing entitlements?

All of your existing entitlements (eg; superannuation, leave loading, overtime) are calculated on your gross pre-package salary.

Top of page

What happens if I take Leave Without Pay when I have a salary packaging arrangement in place?

An employee who takes unpaid or reduced paid leave from the University shall be responsible for maintaining, adjusting or terminating their voluntary salary packaging arrangements. Employees with a Novated Lease must contact the Remuneration Office ( to discuss their lease payment options whilst on LWOP.

Top of page

What will be shown on my payslip?

Salary packaging items will be shown as separate deductions (and reimbursement if the expense has been paid for up front) on your payslip. This will allow you to see those items and the amounts that are reducing your taxable salary.

Top of page

Where do I send my completed Salary Packaging forms?

Completed forms should be sent to the Payroll Office, Building 9, Wagga Campus. Original Receipts are to be attached where applicable. Claims will not be processed until all required documentation is provided and will take effect from the next available payday after the complete documentation is received.

Top of page

Who should I contact to obtain further information?

The Remuneration Office in the Division of Finance at the Wagga Wagga Campus on ext 32267, 32132 or 34281 or email

Top of page


Do I have a choice of fund?

You can nominate to have your super contributions paid to a super fund of your choice, which could be our nominated fund, UniSuper. It's easy to nominate your super fund for employer contributions by completing this Digital Superannuation Choice Form. (Information collected will be managed in accordance with the University's Privacy Management Plan. Please be advised that when you submit this form your information will be provided through UniSuper to the University for the purpose of administering your superannuation contributions).

It's important to note that if you are an existing UniSuper Defined Benefit Division (DBD) member you may not be eligible to choose the super fund to which the super contributions are made, and we may be required to pay the super contributions to UniSuper.

Top of page

How often can I choose a Fund?

Employers are only obligated to facilitate one Choice of Fund election in any twelve-month period.

Top of page

Employer Subsidy

CSU provides generous employer superannuation contributions as part of its remuneration to staff. In addition to your salary, you'll be paid employer superannuation contributions based on your employment contract.

Permanent employees and fixed term contract employees receive superannuation at 17%. Casual employees receive superannuation guarantee (SG) contributions at the current legislated rate.

Super Guarantee Employers Guide

Top of page

Should I salary sacrifice my super?

Making before tax contributions to your super reduces your gross taxable income and, therefore, the income tax you are required to pay. These contributions are subject to a 15% contributions tax.

Salary sacrifice may not be suitable for everyone.

Points to Consider
  • You receive a greater take home pay - the tax benefit is equal to the difference between your marginal taxation rate and the 15% contribution tax payable on pre-tax contributions.
  • You can contribute your tax savings to your superannuation account to increase your future retirement benefits. Tax savings can also be used for other forms of investments or savings.
  • You benefit from a reduction in PAYG income tax on salary and salary related benefits.
  • Before-tax contributions are counted as 'concessional' contributions and are subject to the government specified caps. If you exceed the concessional contribution cap during a financial year you will be taxed on the excess portion.
  • The Government co-contribution is only payable on after-tax personal contributions.
  • Salary packaged superannuation contributions are reported on an employee's income tax statement and are included in the income tests for a range of Government benefits including Family Tax Benefit, Child Support Agency, Centrelink, Superannuation co-contribution.

CSU recommends that you seek qualified, independent financial advice. Information is also available at your super fund's web site.

Top of page

How do I salary sacrifice?

To salary sacrifice your super, complete the applicable Superannuation Salary Packaging form, located on the forms section of this site. Send the completed form to the Payroll Office, Wagga campus.

Changes to your salary packaging arrangement can be made at any time by completing a new form.

Top of page

How do I know what fund I am in?

If you are unsure what fund you are in, you can refer to your payslip which can be viewed on the Web Kiosk. See the section "Understanding Payslips on the Web Kiosk" .

About the Self Service Kiosk...

If you are unsure if you are a Defined Benefit or an Accumulation Member with UniSuper, you can access the member online facility on the UniSuper Web Site.

UniSuper Website

Top of page

Can new employees join the UniSuper Defined Benefit Plan (DBD)?

New employees, if eligible, can opt in to the DBD within two years of commencing in their eligible role. This is regardless of whether:

  • They have chosen or are stapled to UniSuper (and are an existing Accumulation 1 member), or
  • They have chosen or are stapled to another super fund.

To  opt in, confirm your eligibility with UniSuper and you will be issued a DBD opt-in form. Return the completed form to Payroll, who, after confirming that you are employed in an eligible role, will then enrol you in the Defined Benefit Division.

In making this choice, it is important to consider your personal circumstances to decide whether the Defined Benefit Division is right for you. To assist with this decision you may first wish to make an appointment with a UniSuper superannuation consultant to gain a better general understanding of the Defined Benefit Division features.

UniSuper Choose your Super Product

UniSuper Forms and Brochures

Top of page

What is the difference between Defined Benefit and Accumulation?

The key difference between defined benefit and accumulation-style super is the way benefits are calculated.

UniSuper Defined benefits are calculated with a formula based on your contributions, your age, your work arrangements, and your salary over the last 5 years.  Defined benefits are typically not determined by investment performance.

Accumulation super is kept in an account. All member and employer contributions are paid into this account and invested in one or more of your chosen investment options. Your super balance accumulates over time with investment returns (which may be positive or negative). Your final benefit is the total of your account (minus fees and taxes) and depends on investment performance.

UniSuper Website

Top of page

I'm a DBD member. Now that a choice of fund is available, can I choose to have my employer contributions paid to another fund?

Choice of fund legislation allows UniSuper members to have their contributions paid to a different super fund. Certain exceptions do apply for Defined Benefit Division (DBD) members.

If you've been in the DBD for less than 24 months you have a few options:

  1. If you want to leave the DBD but continue having employer contributions made to UniSuper, you can choose to transfer to UniSuper's Accumulation style account. Having an accumulation-style account can give you more flexibility and you'll be able to choose your investments.
  2. You can choose to have your contributions paid to a different super fund but keep your UniSuper account open. You'll need to leave the DBD and elect to move to Accumulation 2.
  3. You can choose to have your employer contributions paid to a different super fund and close your UniSuper account. You'll just need to elect to move to Accumulation 2 first. Once that's complete, you can transfer your UniSuper balance to your preferred fund, then ask your employer to pay your contributions there too.

If you've been in the DBD for more than 24 months:

The same rules apply as when you joined, and the choice you made to stay in the DBD, also still applies. You are generally required to stay in the DBD and have employer contributions paid in to it until you cease employment or cease to be employed in a DBD-eligible position.

Top of page

What is the Co-Contribution Scheme?

The Super Co-contribution is an Australian Government initiative to assist eligible individuals to save for their retirement. If you are eligible and make personal superannuation contributions, the Government will match your contribution with a co-contribution up to certain limits.

ATO Website

Top of page


Visit the CSU Travel website for more information

What process do I follow for travel requests at CSU?

Please refer to the CSU Travel website for more information.

Top of page

Where do I find information on travel allowances for meals etc?

Information on allowances for meals for single day travel and overnight travel within Australia can be found on the Allowance Rates page of the CSU Travel web site.

Top of page

Overseas Travel Allowance Rates - Where do I find them?

Overseas travel allowance rates (meals and incidentals) can be found on the CSU Travel web site.

Top of page

Is there University insurance cover when travelling overseas?

Charles Sturt University has a corporate insurance policy covering CSU staff members and others travelling on behalf of the University. Please refer to the CSU Travel website.

Top of page

Domestic Travel Booking Frequently Asked Questions:

What are the office hours for the domestic travel team?The domestic travel team will be available Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5.00pm.

When should I submit my request to travel?
You should submit your request to travel once you have discussed your plans with your supervisor. The earlier you start to plan the earlier your travel will be approved. Travel bookings will not be processed until your travel plan is approved.

When should I expect a response from CSU Travel?
Once your travel plan has been approved, you should expect a response from CSU Travel within 24 hours. A member of the domestic team will then confirm your requirements.

Who will approve my travel?
Your travel will be approved by the delegated approver in ProMaster.

What do I do if my travel is urgent?
If your travel is urgent you should telephone CSU Travel on 02 6933 4488. This way your travel plan can be created immediately. Travel must be approved. Therefore you may need to provide confirmation of approval by an email from the delegated approver.

What do I need to do if my plans change?
If your travel plans change please contact the domestic travel team.

How do I reconcile my travel plan?
You no longer need to reconcile your own travel plans. All travel plan reconciliation will be completed by the domestic travel team at CSU Travel.

What do I do with my receipts?
Your receipts can be captured using the app "ExpenseMe". A copy of your receipt will then be sent immediately to ProMaster.
If you do not have access to a smartphone, all of your receipts for one travel plan should be collated and sent in one email to Please do not send your receipts individually.

How do I process a travel out of pocket expense (i.e where I have paid cash) ?
If you have incurred a travel related expense which was paid for personally you can claim the reimbursement either by:

  1. Go in to ProMaster, find the relevant travel plan on your home page, go in to the travel plan and create a Quick Claim.
  2. Send your receipt, along with travel plan number and explanation for reimbursement to

Paying for Travel FAQs

I do not have a CSU travel card, how do I pay for my travel?

If you are travelling on University business, please apply for a CSU travel card.

How do I reconcile my credit card with bookings made by CSU Travel?

CSU Travel will reconcile all of your travel expenses. As the traveler, you must provide receipts/tax invoices for expenses charged to your CSU travel card. Receipts can be captured using the ExpenseMe app, or emailed to CSU Travel.

When do I pay for car hire and accommodation?

These expenses are charged when checking out of your hotel or returning your hire vehicle.

What do I do if the traveler is a guest to the University?

A CSU travel card from the same Faculty/School/Centre/Division can be used for payment.

To pay for hotel accommodation, you can give prior authorisation to the hotel to charge another cardholder's travel card.

Car hire cannot be pre-paid. Car hire would need to be paid for by the guest and they could then seek reimbursement.

Can I pay for my travel and be reimbursed?

Personal expenditure should only be incurred when there is no other alternative.

What travel expenses should not be charged to my travel card?

The University will not pay for expenses that are of a private and personal nature (i.e. personal gifts, mini bar, tips).

Unimarket eProcurement (Procurement)

What is eProcurement?

Electronic procurement - generally known as eProcurement - is the automation and management of the procurement-to-payment process. It involves creating and approving purchase requisitions, placing purchase orders, receiving goods and services, and processing invoices through the internet.

What is Unimarket?

Charles Sturt University has chosen Unimarket for its eProcurement tool. The software system was developed by Unimarket - a leading vendor of online catalogue and ordering solutions for higher education and other institutions - and the Unimarket web site is hosted and maintained by this vendor, with key modifications for Charles Sturt University.

Why did we implement Unimarket?

Transforming our procurement process to eProcurement is an important part of an overall strategy for reducing costs and leveraging efficiencies. Universities like ours find that implementing eProcurement makes the purchase and payment processes faster, more efficient, and more policy compliant. eProcurement is considered best practice across higher education.

How will Unimarket help me do my job?

Researching, ordering, or approving goods and services for your Business Unit. Unimarket will help you by making these tasks easier, faster, more compliant, and more transparent. In particular, you'll be able to locate the best pricing with our preferred suppliers, find items on contracts and compare products across suppliers.

How will it work?

With Unimarket you'll have an online procurement environment that provides an intuitive approach much like the shopping cart experience similar to websites like

What happens to ProMaster?

ProMaster will continue to be used for CSU Credit Card management, Out of Pocket Expenses for staff and Travel related bookings.

Who is my eProcurement Specialist?

Each area within the University has a nominated Key User who has had training in the use of Unimarket. Your supervisor should be able to tell you who your Key User is.

How do I know if the supplier received the order?

Suppliers with the ability to send email acknowledgements will do so once the order has been input in to their system. Otherwise it will require a phone call by you to verify this, just as you would have done in the old system.

What can’t be processed through Unimarket?

  • Employee reimbursements – Out of Pocket Expense claim through ProMaster
  • Travel Plan related items – Travel Plan created in ProMaster & payments managed by CSU Travel staff.
  • Student Refunds
  • Enterprise Customer Refunds
  • Visiting Professional charges returns
  • Computer equipment

What items require special approvals/processes?

  • Hazardous Materials
  • Printing
  • Over $100,000 inclusive

How do I know if I need to pay someone as a Consultant or an Employee?

Refer to the Contractor or Employee Status Policy in the Policy Library.

How do I sign-up for training?

Browser training will be offered on a recurring schedule by your Key User. Training for Buyers and other roles will be available on request.

How do I know if I need Browser or Approver training?

Key Users have been established in each Faculty/Division/Specialist unit and are there to provide new users with information about using Unimarket. Discussions with your key user should establish what training you will require.

User Guides and online videos have been created to assist you in developing your knowledge around the use of Unimarket.

How do I submit a standing order?

Standing orders were types of orders processed through Banner. In Unimarket there are different processes to support your recurring purchases, but no Standing Orders.

Please call x34444 or or email to discuss the methods available to you.

What is a Blanket Order?

A blanket order is a type of order used to obtain approval in advance for routine expenditures that will happen over a period of time, for example, a fiscal year. Generally, Blanket Orders should only be used for non-catalogue suppliers and where the volume of transactions with a catalogue supplier warrants the creation.

The ability to create Blanket Orders is only available to users who have had specialist training. Contact your Key User to find out who has been nominated as a Blanket Order Creator for your area.